A festival or gala is an event, usually and ordinarily staged by a local community, which centers on and celebrates some unique aspect of that community and the Festival. Festivals, of many types, serve to meet specific needs, as well as to provide entertainment. These times of celebration offer a sense of belonging for religious, social, or geographical groups. Modern festivals that focus on cultural or ethnic topics seek to inform members of their traditions.Wikipedia
- Modern festivals that focus on cultural or ethnic topics seek to inform members of their traditions.
- Historic feasts often provided a means for unity among families and for people to find mates.
- Select anniversaries have annual festivals to commemorate previous significant occurrences.
- Most festivals are either free or very low cost and that is very purposeful so the arts can be accessible to as many people as possible.
- Festivals also support economic prosperity of the vendors and shops around the festival.
- Religious festivals are passed from generation to generation and reinforce local traditions.
Watch the segments below and identify how/if the previous characteristics apply to each of the segments.
Beverly Hills Chihuahua: Day of the Dead
Furry Vengeance: Rock Springs Forest Festival
Knight and Day: San Fermin Festival
Describe one festival that you have been to and have your peers guess what the tradition involved was.