2. Vikings were not simply savage brutes.
3. The Vikings were famous for sailing huge distances from their home in Scandinavia between AD 800 and 1066.
4. The name ‘Viking means ‘a pirate raid’ in the Old Norse language.
5. Around 500 years before Christopher Columbus ‘discovered’ the American continent, Vikings had visited its shores, landing in what is now Canada in around AD 1000.
6 . Among the many gods Vikings believed in were Thor, the god of thunder,
7. The Vikings were expert boat builders and sailors.
8. When important Vikings died, they would be placed with all their clothes, jewellery, even their animals, in a burial ship.
9.Vikings' favourite food is fish!
13. They were large and heavily muscled
III. How do you associate what you saw in the segment with the Vikings fact you read about? How is the hero shown in the segment?
False: 10, 11, 12, 13
Vikings did not wear horned helmets. There is no evidence to suggest that they ever did, apart from in some ritual ceremonies. Having horned helmets would seriously impede your ability to fight effectively in close combat.
Viking helmets were in fact conical, made from hard leather with wood and metallic reinforcement, or made in iron with a mask and chain mail. The idea of Vikings wearing horned helmets arose during the 19th century when romanticised and nationalistic views of the Viking people became popular.
Vikings were NOT a unified army