Reproductive cloning uses somatic cell nuclear transfer (SCNT) to create animals that are genetically identical. This process entails the transfer of a nucleus from a donor adult cell (somatic cell) to an egg which has no nucleus. If the egg begins to divide normally it is transferred into the uterus of the surrogate mother. (Wikipedia)
A. Discuss these questions with a partner:
1) What's your opinion about animal cloning following the process above?
2) Would you think it is okay for people to ask for a clone pet when theirs die, for example?
3) Pets live for a shorter period than people. Children suffer a great deal when their dogs, for example, die. Would a clone pet, exactly alike, diminish children's suffering? What's your opinion about it?
4) Would you like to clone your pet? Why (not)?
B. Read the types of human cloning below and answer the following questions:
There are two commonly discussed types of human cloning: therapeutic cloning and reproductive cloning. Therapeutic cloning involves cloning cells from an adult for use in medicine and is an active area of research: while reproductive cloning would involve making cloned human beings. Such reproductive cloning has not been performed and is illegal in many countries. A third type of cloning called replacement cloning is a theoretical possibility, and would be a combination of therapeutic and reproductive cloning. Replacement cloning would entail the replacement of an extensively damaged, failed, or failing body through cloning followed by whole or partial organ transplants. (Wikipedia)
C. Work in small groups. What's the group's opinion about:
D. Watch the segment from the movie "The Island".
E. Discuss these items:
G. Look at some of these ethical questions about human cloning that I found on the great sitehttp://www.buzzle.com/articles/ethical-issues-of-cloning.html http://www.buzzle.com/
I. Watch the second segment from the same movie and discuss the questions:
1. What's Repet?
2. What's your opinion about this company?
3. How do you describe its facilities and advertising? How attractive are they?
4. Do you think there will ever be companies like Repet in the future? Why (not)?
5. Do you think there will ever be a ReHuman company in the future, just like Repet? Why (not)?