What is your opinion about Community Service as Alternate Sentencing of convicts?
B. Work with a partner. Read the following statements about alternative sentencing and decide if you both agree or disagree with them. Justify your answers.
1. Expensive fines should be reduced in exchange for a certain number of hours of community service.
2. The convicts should be able to choose their community service.
3. Sentences should be ordered by the court, deciding which services convicts must do.
4. The sentencing should be specifically aimed at the convict's crime, for example, a litterer may have to clean a park , or a drunk driver can be asked to talk to school groups to explain why drunk driving is a crime.
5. Minor offenders should be required to work for city departments under the supervision of the police on weekends, as an alternative to jail.
6. A service to the community is more beneficial than punishment .
7. The community sees a benefit, saving costs associated with incarceration.
8. It is a way to educate the convict in what is acceptable behavior.
9. It is a bad example for other groups, such as young people, because they may become reluctant to do it voluntarily.
10. It is too light a sentence for the crimes.
C. Make a list of five alternative sentences you would consider fair.
D. Watch the movie segment and answer the questions that follow. Take turns asking them.
3. What were some of their crimes?
4. What's Sturdy Wings?
6. What's your opinion about the commercial? Is it effective? Why (not)?
MOVIE SEGMENT DOWNLOAD - ROLE MODELS