1. Do you like going to the movies? How often do you do it?
2. What kind of movies do you prefer? Rank the types of movies according to your preferences. Number 1 is your favorite.
3. Think of examples for each of the types of movies in item 2.
4. What do you prefer doing? Going to the movies or watch films at home? Justify your choice?
5. What do you prefer? New releases or classics? Why?
6. Who is your favorite actor, actress and director?
7. What is your all times favorite movie? Why do you like it so much?
III. Decide if the statements below are true for you and your partner:
( ) I have nightmares when I see a horror movie.
( ) Old movies are not so interesting because of the technology and acting.
( ) All movies should be made in 3D.
( ) Movie ratings are not important. Everyone should be allowed to see the films they
( ) Sex and violent scenes should be prohibited.
( ) Animated movies are only interesting for children.
( ) Silent movies are stupid.
( ) American movie's humor are not funny for the people in my country.
( ) Brazilian (or your nationality) are better than American productions.
( ) The Oscar is not a good reference for choosing the film you see because its main objective is just to promote American movies.
( ) I love American blockbuster movies.
( ) I don't like watching films from less famous studios, such as Iranian, Turkish, French, Italian, Argentinean, etc.
( ) TV is much better than movies.
IV. Watch the segment from the movie Hugo and discuss the questions.
1. Describe the scene.
2. What was the first movie about? What did it show and what was the audience's reaction?
3. What were some of the scenes shown in the segment? What did the first movies talk about?
4. Who was George Meliés? What power did he have?
5. Would you like to see the first movies made or do you think it is a waste of time? Justify your answer.
MOVIE SEGMENT DOWNLOAD - HUGO