Saturday, July 3, 2010
Big Fish, I Know Who Killed Me & Jack and Jill: Twins
A. Talk to a partner about the following questions.
1. Would you like to have a twin brother/sister? Why (not)?
2. Would you like to have twin children? Why (not)?
3. What are the advantages and disadvantages of having twin children?
4. What are the advantages of having a twin brother/sister?
5. Do you think the relationship between twin brothers are different from the ones who are not twins? Explain it.
6. Do you think it is true that some twins feel what his twin brother is feeling? Explain your belief.
7. Do you think that identical twins have the same likes and dislikes, including the sexual orientation? Why?
B. Watch the first segment from the movie Big Fish. Then discuss the questions that follow:
1. Describe the scene.
2. Do you think it is possible for conjoined twins to live a life like the twins in the segment? Why (not)?
3. Make a list of the 10 most difficult things these twins must face in their everyday life. Then share it with the class.
C. Read the statements below about conjoined (Siamese) twins and write T or F (True or False). Discuss it with a partner first and come up with only one answer for the pair.
1. ( ) Conjoined/Siamese twins are identical twins whose bodies are joined in utero.
2. ( ) It is a rare phenomenon, the occurrence is estimated to range from 1 in 50,000 births to 1 in 200,000 births.
3. ( ) The birth rates are somewhat higher incidence in Southwest Asia and Africa.
4. ( ) Approximately half are stillborn.
5. ( ) 70 % of pairs born alive have abnormalities incompatible with life.
6. ( ) The overall survival rate for conjoined twins is approximately 25%.
7. ( ) The is more frequently found among females, with a ratio of 3:1.
Answer Key: All are true.
D. Watch the second segment from the movie "I Know Who Killed Me". The discuss the following questions with a partner.
1. What are stigmata twins?
2. Do you believe they actually exist? Why (not)?
3. Retell the story told in the segment about the twins, using your own words.
4. Do you think that story might be true? Why (not)?
Watch the segment from the movie Jack and Jill and answer the questions:
1. How similar and different are these groups of twins?
2. What are the reasons why they like/dislike being twins.
3. What can you say about the twins' personal interests? Are they the same?
4. How do you compare Jack and Jill?
MOVIE SEGMENT DOWNLOAD - BIG FISH
MOVIE SEGMENT DOWNLOAD - I KNOW WHO KILLED ME
MOVIE SEGMENT DOWNLOAD - JACK AND JILL