Stun gun (taser) is a weapon designed to disable a victim temporarily by delivering a nonlethal high-voltage electric shock. It does not rely on pain to stop the attacker, but it simply stuns the attacker, so that their voluntary muscle control ceases temporarily, unlike pepper spray , which causes severe pain upon the attacker.
Work in small groups.
A. Having that definition in mind, decide whether the features below are ( A ) advantages or ( D ) disadvantages when handling stun guns.
1. ( ) Stun guns are inexpensive and so small that they can be held in the palm of your hand.
2. ( ) The shock will not transmit to you if in contact with the assailant, so it is very difficult to accidentally use it against yourself during an attack.
3. ( ) You must be close enough to touch your attacker. This means that he will be close enough to touch you as well.
4. ( ) It is available at most security stores and anyone can buy one.
5. ( ) The time an attacker needs to be disabled may vary according to his/her body size. It may take a few seconds for him/her to recover and be able to run after you.
6. ( ) It is simple to use, even by children.
7 ( ) It does not cause any cardiac damage, even if you have a heart condition.
8. ( ) It requires less accuracy than other devices.
B. Watch the segment now. Then discuss the questions that follow:
1. Describe the scene.
2. Is it fair to have convicts pay alternative sentences by demonstrating the use of stun guns at schools?
3. What was right and wrong about the procedures followed by the officers in the scene?
4. What's your opinion about stun guns?
5. Would you like to have one? Why (not)?
6. How different would life be if everyone carried a stun gun with them? Explain it.
7. Do stun guns help or worsen violence rates? Explain it.
8. Would you give a stun gun to your children? Why (not)?
9. How old should one be to carry a stun gun? Why?
10. Do you think stun guns can be used against the population by assailants? If so, should their selling be regulated? How?
MOVIE SEGMENT DOWNLOAD - THE HANGOVER