A. Read the definition for body language Body language copied from Wikipedia:
It is a form of non-verbal communication, which consists of body posture, gestures, facial expressions and movements. Humans send and interpret such signals subconsciously.
B. Look at the body language below try to perform them, and make guesses of what message it conveys. This information was provided by the informative site S.P.A.R.C.
1. Erect walk: _______
2. Standing with hands on hips: _________
3. Sitting with legs crossed, foot kicking slightly: _______
4. Sitting legs apart: ______
5. Arms crossed on chest: ______
6. Hand to cheek: _______
7. Rubbing hands: _______
8. Biting nails: ________
9. Drumming fingers: _______
10. Slightly rubbing nose: _______
Answers will vary from culture to culture, but these are the expected answers.
2. Aggression or readiness
5. Defensiveness, distance
6. Thinking, evaluating
C. Watch the segment from the movie Save the Last Dance and answer the following questions about body language.
1. What does he say about hip-hop?
2. What does she have to do in order to be a good hip-hop dancer?
3. What's the body language she has to make use of in order to convey to the hip hop attitude? List
4. Decide the purpose of the suggestions given in exercise 3.
D. Now watch the segment from the movie She's the Man. The girl has to join a male soccer team without their noticing she is a girl. Watch the movie segment and discuss the following questions.
1. What did she do to physically look like a boy? Will it be effective?
2. What did she do to learn to act like a man?
3. What body language did she make use of in order to fool the soccer team's boys? Do you think she will be successful?
MOVIE SEGMENT DOWNLOAD - SHE'S THE MAN
MOVIE SEGMENT DOWNLOAD - SAVE THE LAST DANCE