How do you feel when it is Valentine's day if...:
a. You are single
b. You are in love with your sweetheart
c. You have just broken up
d. You have been married for a long time
e. You love your sweetheart, but you are far away from him (her)
I. Work with a partner and decide if the statement is true for Valentine's Day celebration in the USA or in Brazil (your country), or both. Taken from http://www.theholidayspot.com/valentine/
3. Going out with your single friends is a great option, visiting a friend's house or inviting your pals to your own home. Catching a movie together, playing party games or having a picnic are single people's activities on this day.
5. It has now become an occasion to express gratitude and love to not only sweethearts and spouses, but also to teachers, parents or any other close relation or acquaintance.
6. The modern celebrations of the day sees people complementing their dear ones with gifts that include popular items as cards, fresh flowers like rose, chocolates and candies.
8. Children celebrate Valentine's Day with great enthusiasm.
9. It is celebrated on February 14th.
10. There are many Valentine's parties all over the country.
Answer key: They are all true for the USA, but the students should decide which ones are true for their own countries (In Brazil, everything is different).
II. Watch the movie segment from the movie Valentine's Day and answer the questions about the segment.
2. Are the children interested in the story?
4. What happened in the florist's? What is the conflict?
This second activity was provided by the reader Anna Silva, who works at Casa Branca Idiomas in Santos, SP, Brazil. Thanks, Ana, for your kindness and great idea.
1- After watching the first scene, fill in the blanks:
What are they doing?
e- A man...................................................................
Watch the 2nd scene and discuss:
-Does she look happy?
-What happens when she gets to the Flower shop? Why?
2. Many people give or send one to friends on Valentine's Day.
4. Another term for sweets that are given on Valentine's Day.
9. Sometimes on Valentine's Day, a secret ________ will give you an anonymous present.
11. If you don't get any Valentines, you might do this into your pillow.
12. Herseys is one kind of this type of candy.
15. Roses, carnations, and daisies are these.
17. When you really, really like someone, you ____ them. Also you ______ your parents.
19. If you give someone a treat on Valentine's Day, it usually is this. This word is also used in the expression "______ Heart", a nickname husbands and wives call each other.
20. This expression is often said on Valentine's Day: "___ Mine"
1. The color of hearts on Valentine's Day.
2. The fictional character that shoots arrows at people.
3. These flowers come in many colors, but usually red ones are given on Valentine's Day.
5. What cupid shoots at some poor unsuspecting person, that makes them fall in love.
6. If you want to give a friend roses, you would give them this color.
7. The name of this holiday!
8. Doilies are usually made out of this material.
10. Moms and Dads may want to get away for a _________ dinner or weekend.(mushy, mushy, mushy)
13.One of the shapes used often on Valentine's Day is ______ (plural).
14. These are made out of paper or material that are lacy.
15. The abbreviation for the month that Valentine's is in.
16. The man that this holiday is named after is, _______ Valentine.
18. If you get flowers for Valentine's Day, you will want to have one of these to keep them in. Solution:
MOVIE SEGMENT DOWNLOAD - I HATE VALENTINE'S DAY - PART 1
MOVIE SEGMENT DOWNLOAD - I HATE VALENTINE'S DAY - PART 2