Saturday, October 24, 2009
Labor Pains & The Proposal: Boss x Employee
A. Talk to a partner about the following questions.
1. What should the ideal boss be like? Mention at least 5 important qualities he/she must have.
2. Mention 5 qualities a boss can't have.
3. What is the limit for an employee to bear with a rude boss?
4. Would you quit a position because of your boss even if the job were excellent pay and you didn't have any other opportunity in mind?
5. Would you tell the truth to your boss if you didn't like the he/she treated you? Why (not)?
B. Watch the first part of the segment from the movie Labor Pains and decide.
1. Who is right? The boss or the employee?
2. Was the boss too strict about her delay? Why (not)?
3. What would you do if you were the employee?
4. What would you do if you were the boss?
5. What were the wrong things both the employee and the boss did? Explain it.
C. Now watch the second segment from Labor Pains and answer the questions that follow.
1. Is the main character actually pregnant?
2. Why did she make that up?
3. Is it okay to lie to your boss just to keep your job?
4. Do you think it's fair that a pregnant woman can't be legally fired? Why (not)?
5. What are the laws in your country concerning pregnant women at the workplace?
6. What will she have to do so that her workmates don't find out she's not pregnant.
7. What will happen next?
8. What should the boss do if/when she finds out about that she is not pregnant at all?
9. What other excuse could she have made up in order to keep her job? Would it be better or worse than hers? Why?
D. Watch the next segment from the movie The Proposal. Then discuss the questions.
1. How do you describe the relationship between the boss and the employees? How healthy is it?
2. What about the boss and her secretary?
3. Does the boss deserve her reputation? Explain it.
4. What's your opinion about the way she fired her employee?
5. What's your opinion about the way the fired employee reacted to it?
6. Would you like to be her secretary knowing that the pay is extremely profitable? Why (not)?