Saturday, February 13, 2010
View from the Top: 1st Job
A. Talk to a partner about the following questions:
1) Do you remember your first job? What did you have to do there?
2) What were the qualifications you had to have to perform the assigned tasks?
3) How did you apply for that position?
4) Did you have to go through a job interview? How was it?
5) How long did you work there?
6) Was this job important for you? How so?
7) Does it have anything to do with the field you work in nowadays? Explain it.
8) How different is your current job from your first job?
9) Are you happy about your current job? Why (not)?
10) Did anything ever go wrong in your first job?
11) What can go wrong on the first day of work of a flight attendant? Think about at least 10 different reasons and list them.
12) What are the qualities a flight attendant must have? Which ones she can't have?
B. Watch the movie segment and check whether what happened to Donna, the flight attendant on her first day of work of her first job as a stewardess, is on your guessing list.
C. Now work in pairs to answer the following questions about the segment:
1. Describe the scene.
2. Why did she react the way she did?
3. What were some of the things that she did wrong? Why?
4. What could she have done so that she didn't react like she did?
5. What should the airline do about the situation?
6. If you were a passenger on that flight, what would you do?
7. What's your opinion about her qualifications for the position? Explain it?
8. What were her greatest qualities and which ones were the worst?