- A small room, such as a closet or a bathroom, near the center of the home
- a bathroom under the stairs and centrally located
- a basement
- under a heavy bench or a heavy table
- crawl space if the house is built on concrete block.
- a mobile home
- crawl space if the house is built on concrete block. - the house can pancake on the ground or move as a single unit off the foundation. You can be crushed.
- garage - garage doors fail easily
- a mobile home - it can be taken away by the winds with you inside.
1. A ________________is a giant whirlpool that covers land. A ____________ is a whirlwind. (HURRICANE/TORNADO)
2. ______________ form over land from
thunderstorms. ______________ form over water and covers all sorts of spinning storms from a standard low pressure system to a ______________. (TORNADOES / CYCLONES / HURRICANE)
Answer key: The answers are in the correct order.
III. Watch the segment and answer the questions.
1. What were they doing when the tornado hit the city?
2. Were they acting right? Explain it.
3. Is their job important? Why (not)?
4. What are the most common natural disaster where you live? How do you compare it to a tornado?
5. Do you consider yourself lucky or unfortunate, regarding natural disasters in your city?
MOVIE SEGMENT DOWNLOAD - INTO THE STORM