I love this historic scene despite the slow pace of this movie. I used it to provide the students with opportunities to learn a bit more about culture and history.
1. It was the first big slave-trading nation to abandon the trade. (True or False)
2. The campaign against slavery was dominated by women. (True or False)
3. In the 18th century thousands of slaves were brought into Britain, and the height of fashion amongst rich ladies was to have a black child servant. (True or False)
4. Coffee produced by slaves transformed the British cuisine. It was what turned tea into a British national obsession as opposed to the strange Indian pastime it originally was. (True or False)
5. Slavery inside the British Empire came to an end after a rebellion led by a Jamaican slave. What he originally planned was to make use of non-violent tactics and passive resistance to end slavery. (True or False)
Inspired by http://www.ehow.com/info_8528981_10-13th-amendment.html
1. The senate passed the 13th amendment one year after the end of the civil war. (True or False)
2. President Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation, declaring that all slaves in the rebelling states were free as of January 1, 1863. The Civil War became about ending slavery once and for all. (True or False)
3. 26 of the 27 states of the Union ratified the amendment in February, 1865, the first month after its passage by the Congress. (True or False)
4. The first to ratify the 13th Amendment was Illinois. (True or False)
5. Mississippi was the last state to ratify. (True or False)
Inspired by http://onlyinbrazil.blogspot.com.br/2009/09/slavery-in-brazil-its-protagonists-and.html?zx=30384f843e97eb0
1. Brazil achieved independence from Portugal in 1822. The Constituent Assembly was published and addressed that not only the slave trade must end, but also for the gradual emancipation of slaves. However, since this point until the 1880s, the Brazilian demand for slaves was filled by a gigantic increase in the importation of African slaves. (True or False)
2. In 1848, the Brazilian slave trade continued on considerable level growing rapidly during the 19th century, and during this time the numbers reached as much as (6,000 - 60.000 - 100.000) slaves per year. (Choose the best answer).
3. the foreign slave trade was finally abolished by 1850. Then, by 1871, the sons of the slaves were freed. In 1885, the slaves aged over 60 years were freed. (True or False)
4. Brazil was the last nation in the Western Hemisphere to abolish slavery. (True or False)
5. The country that sent most slaves to Brazil was Tanzania. (true or False)
4. False - Sugar
1. False - Before
5. False - Georgia
5. False - Angola.
II. Watch the movie segment and discuss the questions:
1. What is the mood of the voting? What about after the voting?
2. What exactly were they deciding with the passing of the 13th amendment?
3. Describe the scene.
4. Can you think of other historic moments in your country's history that were similar or even greater than the passing of the 13th amendment?
5. What are the consequences of slavery in Britain, the USA and Brazil nowadays? Do you have any idea?
MOVIE SEGMENT DOWNLOAD - LINCOLN