Carrie is an amazing book by my favorite author, Stephen King. The first version of the movie in the 70's is a master piece of horror. It is one of my all time favorite movies. The remake, though, is not as good as the original one, but it is very faithful to the book's plot. I also liked it. One of my readers asked me for a post about prom nights and I immediately thought about Carrie. I hope you, Marcia, and everyone enjoys it, especially because it is a cultural topic. In Brazil, for example, there isn't such a thing called prom night. Here we have graduation parties which are very different from prom nights. Enjoy it, Marcia. And thanks for the suggestion.
I. Work with a partner:
1. What do you know about prom night? Does the definition above surprise you? Do you have a similar event in your country (city)?
2. Do you think it is an important event in a teenager's life? Why?
3. Do you think it is a cool or tacky ceremony? Why?
4. Being such an important event in their lives, how do you think teenagers spend the the day before prom night? What do you think they wear on prom night? How different are the girls and the guys' expectations for prom night?
II. Read the short text below and check your answers:
III. Watch the movie segment and discuss the questions.
1. What were some of the characteristics of a traditional prom night described in Exercise II (Reading) that you managed to see in the snippet?
2. How did they go to the prom? How were Carrie and Tommy feeling before the prom?
3. What were the students wearing?
4. What kind of music was playing there?
5. Talk about the decoration of the party.
6. How were the King and the Queen of prom night chosen?
7. What was their prize?
7. Why do you think Carrie and Tommy were chosen to be the King and Queen of the prom?
8. This scene does not have a happy ending. What do you think will happen next?
MOVIE SEGMENT DOWNLOAD - CARRIE