Transgenesis: Transgenesis is the process of introducing an exogenous gene – called a transgene – into a living organism so that the organism will exhibit a new property and transmit that property to its offspring. (Wikipedia)
I. Read the article below and discuss the questions that follow: Taken from:
2) Are we blurring the lines between species by creating transgenic combinations?
3) What ethical, social, and legal controls or reviews should be placed on such research?
4) Are we inflicting pain and suffering on sentient creatures when we create certain types of chimeras?
5) Will transgenic interventions in humans create physical or behavioral traits that may or may not be readily distinguished from what is usually perceived to be “human”?
6) What unintended personal, social, and cultural consequences could result?
7) Will these interventions redefine what it means to be “normal”?
8) Who will have access to these technologies? 9) What is the future of such experiments.
II. Watch the segment below from the movie Splice and decide whether this scene will be feasible in the future
1. What were the main objectives of the research?
2. What were the drawbacks?
3. What should happen to the scientists?
4. Was this a worth trying experiment?
5. Is Genetic Engineering a good resource in such cases?
III. Watch the segment from the movie Jurassic Park and discuss the questions.
1. Do you agree with this kind of experiment? Why (not)?
2. Is is a good idea to bring extinct animals back to the environment? Explain it.
3. What are the moral issues involved in such experiment? What are the possible consequences?
4. What sorts of regulations do you think still need to be implemented in order for this procedure to be totally accepted by society?
MOVIE SEGMENT DOWNLOAD - SPLICE
MOVIE SEGMENT DOWNLOAD - JURASSIC PARK