- The most common way to celebrate it is to put an altar in the home to welcome the spirits who are believed to return on this date.
- Visit the cemetery. Before the Holiday, they clean and do any necessary maintenance.
- Think of your dearly departed and their favorite food, what they liked in life and keep them present on the day of the holiday.
- make sugar skulls
- Decorate the party with colorful skulls.
Wednesday, July 29, 2015
The Book of Life: Day of the Dead
I love the Mexican culture and the way they celebrate the Day of the Dead. This movie is really cute and worth a try. Enjoy it.
The days of the dead are a truly celebration of life. When children dance with caricatures of death, eat skull sugar molds and learn to respect that life is brief, they learn there is a circle to life and to not fear death and then are free to enjoy and appreciate every moment. It is celebrated in Mexico between October 31st and November 2nd.
Talk to a partner:
1. How do you celebrate the Day of the Dead in your country? Is it a happy or sad day?
2. Do you think it is important to celebrate the Day of the Dead? Why (not)?
3. Do the people in your country have the following Day of the Dead Traditions?
4. Watch the movie segment and discuss the questions
1. Where did the children go on the Day of the Dead?
2. What did they learn about the Day of the Dead?
3. How is "La Muerte" described?
3. What's your opinion about Mexican Day of the Dead? Do you prefer the way it is celebrated there or the way it is in your own country:? Why?
4. Do you think there should actually be a holiday to celebrate the Day of the Dead.